Monday, May 10, 2010

Yo' Brainz and My mind!

This post isn't going to get much admirers. As such I don't expect much, as far as my blog's publicity goes, I have been clicking on the "Good" and "Interesting" buttons all this while to reflect that I have readers. 

I would like to talk about the most irritating habit out of my several obsessive compulsive disorders. And most of you have been victims to it and at one point or the other have cursed me to burn in hell for inflicting such pains on you!

To start with, how many of you have I reminded that you never ever use the past tense of a verb which is prefixed by a "did" in the sentence! (It's not - "I did went there". It's - "I did go there!") YES! I am talking about my (in)famous "English Correcting Disorder". You must be hoping this post is about apologizing for all those bugging unsolicited grammar lessons!

Don't get too happy. Getting a sorry from me on this issue is just as difficult as getting my boss to like me! 

I have recently awakened to the fact that using wrong English is a trend today. And I am just too obsolete to be able to catch up with the latest fashion statements! 

For example: The obsession with the word "Ma"? Somehow everyone is using instead of "My"! I don't understand. Because as far as I know, we are supposed to use 2 alphabets for both of the words. So, is it that typing the letter "a" is easier than typing "y"?

And has anyone tried to read how these sentences sound? "I told ma mother to gimme ma money cuz I want to buy maself a bike of ma own"!! To me it just appears that you stammer a lot. What is this "Ma" fetish? Is it some way to say you are much more cooler? "Ma world"! "Ma friends" "Ma family"...

Trust me every time I read these irritating expressions and sentences, all I can do is say out a hindi expletive in my head which also apparently starts with the word "Ma****"! 

I am not against using short forms, they in a way are easy to use specially in text messaging. But then, the examples here aren't short forms. I am talking about original English terms being twisted and turned and thereby made absolutely ghastly to hear or read! For eg. When everyone around you uses 'Lol' as a shortcut for 'Laughing out loud' it's okay! However, these days I have come across 'Lol' as an expression used very differently. If something very funny happens to someone or someone suffered an embarrassing incident, we use: "Uske saath aaj mast lol hua"! Even when you're embarrassed, they would use "Lol" instead of "Damn" or "Ohh Shit"! Also, these days, youngsters have started saying 'Lol' instead of laughing at your joke! No comments! :-S 

Moving on, recently, one of my friends buzzed me on Gtalk and it read: "Dhappp??" I couldn't  really get that and thought it was a spelling error. However, later on I got enlightened that it stands for "What's up?". Yes. "What's up?" as an expression is outdated. It is now "What Up?" (Thanks Barney!) which has further got transformed into "Whaddduuuup" and hence the short cut - "Dhapp?" As long as an amateur English user like me is concerned, that "Dhapp" is simply one of the expressions used by Diamond comics I read as a child where there were also other sounds like "Dhadaam" "Kadd Boooooom" "Dhamaka" etc. 

Anyway, now that I am trying to get trendier, I have recently realized, all we need to do is use stuff like: "Yo man", "Bro", "Ciao", "Dude" and bingo! It doesn't matter if you are incapable for formulating a single sentence in English. All you need to do is add a "Bro" or "Dude" and you are all hep now!

Amidst all these "Friggin wurdz which neva eva make ny sense to ma mind" all I can do is pray that one fine day I "rise" to these levels and am able to inculcate the latest trends to be one of those "Yo" types! 

God help me! 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Now this ones Super lol...:P and i believe you know what I am talking about,indeed prodigious and stupendous

(p.s.staying away from using any of those "KEWL" type of words")

Speaking Smile said...

Very well written sweetheart (I've to write correct English now)..I agree to most of the stuff you have written. People actually murder language, be it Hindi or English or any other language for that matter. But yes, this will go on till eternity just because people don't invest time in learning correct language. So, i guess your blogs will also go on till...

ms.shwetalal said...

Ma'am...ur insights r 'freagin' blowin 'ma' mind off! ;)

Unknown said...

Well I completely agree with what you have to say.
Very well written and ohhh yes you have updated my vocab as well
:D

Suruchi Sharma said...

Deepu, Shweta, Manjiri mam & Surbhi! Thanks a ton! I thought I am going to be kicked hard after this! :P

PRAMOD... said...

After reading "YO"
My neurons are jumping...now
I'm feeling like this is my story...
n
yes if you are not fluent in anything, chances are you will try to mislead the people around you. (n we call them f****ng stylo )


Sorry 4posting 3 times....

Shashank Saxena said...

Trust me every time I read these irritating expressions and sentences, all I can do is say out a hindi expletive in my head which also apparently starts with the word "Ma****"! ,, HE HE HE,., can;t stop laughing,, lot of LOL's.. ;)..

Riddhi said...

Good stuff!

Unknown said...

gud 1 baby,ohh sorry " Good one Suruchi"

Samir Thakkar said...

Hi, good to see that OCD to correct English is still alive in you. I got the infection from you only in my PT days.

Another honest confession that you yourself have marked "good"s in your blog. Well, you can do the same for others(read 'for my blog') as well. To give you some bribe, I have used one of your posts in one of my posts.. So, do the needful ( just five 'ha ha' ).

Irfan is still buzzing you is a sad news for me. Anyway, both of you (needless to say MYK) take care of each other. Bye.

ashwini said...

Chanced upon ur blog, i like the clarity with which u write.I share this 'ECD' with you. :-)

Suruchi Sharma said...

Hey Ashwini, thanks for chancing upon my blog! And hi-fi for you too sharing this OCD! Now I have someone who can understand the misery people like us go through seeing the ghastly usage of English all around us!

ravi the great said...

Meri angreji thodi kachi hai becoz sat samunder tattu par ki bhasa hai,but i totally agree to wat u said.Wat i feel is we Indians always had better vocab and better pronunciation than western pple,but now as we r getting westernized very rapidly in all fields, islie new generation unki bhasa bol rahi hai, jyada kuch nahi likhunga, i hope u got wat i wanted to xpalin.

ravi the great said...

jab hum kisi culture se kuch adopt karte hai to unki achi aur saath mein buri bate bhi adopt karte hai.
thats wat i wanted to say,plz bare me i m very bad at xplaning.