Monday, November 11, 2013

Single, are you?

Once you reach the late twenties, the only concern that the world around you starts to have is seeing you married. I get the question, "Why still single?" all the time. Initially I would go all the way being sensible about my response coming up with meaningful replies like "The hunt is on" or "Yeah, the moment the right guy comes along, marriage won't take time." Slowly, you get bored. The responses go to the careless "No idea" or "Not in the mood to leave singlehood". Then sometimes the irritations sets in. The responses can go from "Because I don't give a tiny rat's ass" all the way to "why don't you find someone for me...try finding a NICE guy...try it, I DARE YA!". (Just for the record, I reached the irritated stage 3 months back. These days more often than not I land in a murderous mood when such talks happen. If you have to talk on these lines, make sure you maintain 10 meters of distance between you and me.)

Sometimes I am even worse. That's when I say the truth as my replies to the question "28 and still single?". The unlucky ones have been on the receiving end of statements like:

- "Just because you settled doesn't mean everyone should."
- "I wanted to get married but then I saw what your marriage was like. Frightening stuff."
- "You're 90 and you ain't dead. Sometimes the inevitable takes time to happen. Let's roll with it."

If you're 28 and unmarried, everyone around is stereotyping you. I can see it with people pouring in the "Awwww...you'll find someone." "Yeah, high time for you ya". People would call you  'ambitious' which is just a better word for 'selfish' in their heads. That's not all, there are always relatives who are trying to tell your parents how letting their "daughter" pursue her dreams and career wasn't the best of the ideas. (It happens. Seriously.)

I guess I am in some pitiable state in life and everyone wants to help. My well wishers have sorted that reason out for me too. Apparently, I have very high expectations, I am difficult to please and, my personality intimidate men. People who know the real me, I know you guys have a smirk of amusement on your faces as you read this. :)


Do I love the fact that I am single? Not exactly. Who wouldn't want a companion to share your life with at this stage? I would like to have one too. On the other hand, do I consider myself unlucky or unfulfilled just because I am single. Again, not exactly. Having a stable career, absolute independence, and control on my own life is quite a fulfilling experience in its own way. Those who haven't experienced it will not understand it. 

The deal is simple, this isn't a race. Can't push people to rush into things. My marital status shouldn't define who I am or determine how happy I am. Yes, life of a single person can be tough at times. But then so is the life of a married person. We singles don't tell you guys to get divorced every time you fight with your partner or have arguments with your in laws. The same law applies to the other side of this coin. We all have our own lot to deal with. All we can do is...deal with it. 

Peace. :)

13 comments:

Krishnamurthi Kumar said...

I can think of sooooo many people with whom I can share this post!! I'll not ask you why you're single... But I surely wonder why you're not a full-time writer!!

Suruchi Sharma said...

Thanks!!! :D You have no idea how great these words make me feel.

Narayani Karthik said...

Wow! Absolutely wow! You must write a book! And I hope, you will :)

Cheers & God bless...!!

Suruchi Sharma said...

Narayani!!! :D Thank you, once again. :) Big hug! :)

Unknown said...

Njoyed reading :)

Sweta Agarwal said...

Great stuff directly from heart ..

Suruchi Sharma said...

Thanks a lot, Sachin. Thank you too, Sweta. :)

shweta said...

Loved your writting!!..well spoken.. this is wht many of actully feel!!.. :)

Anonymous Genius said...

well written..!
i got few similar comments on writing a book..!

may be we can collaborate..!

Suruchi Sharma said...

Thanks a lot Shweta :)

Mr. Anonymous: Thanks! And it's actually not a bad idea on co authoring a book. :D

Unknown said...

Word...how I love reading your posts and and then I put myself in a performance pressure to write a equally good comment. Ohh, ya I fail :)


Suruchi Sharma said...

Hahaha Deepshri...you can't fail at anything. Thanks for making my day. :)

Rohit Singh said...

Beautifully written Su :-)
Whenever heart writes, it just thrills. Keep writing.
Great stuff! :-)