Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Situational Friends!

Friendship - Have read, heard and probably talked so much about this in life, that perhaps this post might just be a lame attempt in discussing something new. Nonetheless, I can give my share of "gyaan" to this world and torture everyone for a while.

Whenever I have read about "Friendship", the word "Beautiful" & "God Sent" have always tagged along as adjectives. I don't negate them, but I don't agree completely.

Friendship, once again, as per one of the most bromidic phrases used, is the only relation that you make by your choice. And I always lived in the same world, where friendships are supposed to last for life, bring memorable moments to be cherished throughout your life and what not! Honestly, life was really good when I still could stand by these notions regarding friendship.

Today, friends can be categorized in so many different ways.

There are the ones who are there for you "ALWAYS" and would expect you to be there "ALWAYS"! And yes, even a moody and 'I need my space' person like me has a few friends like these. And now I am wondering why!

Then comes the variety of friends who never wants to stay in touch. I mean, not exactly never, because they will turn up exactly at the time they need you. Do expect a phone call or a text message saying, "Hi, how is life?" from them a day or an hour right before they call you or show up at your door asking for help and you are stuck because you can't even blame these jerks for not keeping in touch all this while. (They called you yesterday...remember?)

The next variety: The "Forward" friends. You will always see emails or Sms forwards daily in your inbox. Most of the times, you read the PJs or bugging "shayris" or "Forward this to 150 people and a you will get laid tonight" mails from them. In bulk. Thrice a day. Every time I look at them and try to remember the faces these friends had, I almost never succeed. And yet again I wonder, why are they my friends and what am I doing in their friends list. Not forgetting cursing myself for being such a loser, big enough to open these mails and messages!

The next type is very common. We all have dealt with them at one point or the other in our lives. They are your friends, always with you, committing yourself to you till death tears you apart! However, before death another tragedy strikes them. They fall in love. And then, the object of all the commitment and togetherness and 'Will be there for you till death tears us apart' promises changes. You are just left behind calculating what went wrong and where and by that time, they are already happily married and probably planning kids. (You never come to know what exactly happened to them, they never sent you a wedding invitation.)

The next friendship is the one-sided love. You just can't stand these folks. You know you don't want to be with them or talk to them. But then, just because you never could be very rude to these ones, you have to put up with them. And no, it's NOT that easy. You try to ignore them, but they ignore the fact that you are ignoring them. Pathetically optimistic about their importance in your life, they stay and stay and they STAY!

Then of course, we have the "Whiners"!Describing them, they are really typical when it comes to this trait. Well, first of all, they simply are in love with themselves. I mean, I how else do I explain the super duper obsession towards whining and crying about how life has been unfair to 'THEM'. This category has all the "Why me?" and "Enough is enough" "Life has always been cruel to me" slogan holders. They are so self obsessed and busy crying around, they even ignore the solution to their problems which might be lying in front of them since the time the problem surfaced. And yes, in extreme cases, they tend to refuse finding out a solution, because according to them, they are too unique and important to ever have a solution. In these cases, they chose the problems, the problems don't chose them. And they feel comfortable only when they have issues to whine about. Give them a reason to smile and they will be lost and don't know what to do. I have a handful of these "Friends". I think I came into their super important life thinking they need help. Apparently, it's the other way round now. It's better to leave them alone. Problems are their only partners, friends, lovers...etc.

There are loads of other categories. The flaunting ones for example. They don't flaunt themselves, they flaunt you. They love being seen with you or being associated with you because you might be one of less moronic idiots in their circle of otherwise chronic ones.

Then we have the obliging ones. They tend to ignore you completely when in a group. But they behave as if they are your soul mates when meeting you alone. Yeah, you feel you are important all over again, while all they want out of you is to be a good listener to them because none of the sensible ones could put up with their bragging.

We also have the birthday friends. The ones who remember you on your birthday, promptly wishing you exactly at 12:00 am and of course expecting you to wish them on theirs. Miss one of their birthdays and the trail ends. It's a give and take relationship after all. The same thing applies to all your facebook and orkut friends also. They will "Like" your comments if you "Like" theirs and scrap you back if you scrap them. Again the trail will end the moment you miss it once.

Well, writing this post, I have taken a big risk. I know you all are currently categorizing me in all of the options above. And I know I alone can give rise to at least 50 newer categories. But then, what the hell, this is my post. You can write about me in yours! :D

I can still go on with this never ending journey of categorizing my friends. But I have to stop and come to the last category. I would like to call this - 'The ones who can't be categorized'. I am extremely lucky to have a few of these people in my life whom I would never be able to put a label on in any way possible.

They are rare and precious. They are the ones who really matter to me. The ones whom I can be an utter nuisance to and still expect to be there. The ones whom I can be every trait I mentioned in my post above and still expect to put up with me. I won't name them, but I somehow know they realize what they mean to me.

They are also the ones whom I expect to read this blog till the end for sure and hence mentioning them in the last line... I LOVE YOU GUYS! :) :*


P.S. The entire work here is pure work of part bored and part sleepy mind. Any resemblance to any person in my close and far off circle might be a coincidental and exaggerated form of my opinion about them. ;)

14 comments:

Priyanka said...

I think i have a little bit of every category in me...lols...but gr8 piece..n an hilarious one too! :)

Shashank Saxena said...

Wow,, u really made me read the whole stuff.. hats off 2 u honey.. n clearly "WITH OUT A DOUBT" it was awesome.. u know wat, even "ME" was categorizing myself during reading dis, OFFCOURSE, but i guess m so tired of doing NOTHING dat i forgot ur described categories in the end..damn with my memory ;).. but u my honey now falls in "lovely writers" category.. keep it up.. Now waiting for your next stuff..u got yourself one more FAN.. LOVE U.

Shwe said...

Brilliantly written.
Enjoyed reading it. Very apt & thoroughly entertaining. Keep it up!

ms.shwetalal said...

Love it!! Whatta fun read! n im sure every person can relate to it in some or the other way!...also, I'm gonna pride myself in thinking I belong to a PARTICULAR category...n if I'm wrong..PLS DON"T TELL ME! :P

Chandani Dave said...

LOL Awesome Read Suruchi! Juz loved it! I know where I blong btw;) Luvya Too babes :D Muahz....n DAMN YOU ROCK! It was juz so entertaining...Beautiful Piece of Work Sweetz! Keep writin :D will wait for yr next one;)

Samir Thakkar said...

Cool buddy... you are indeed growing up.....

gopika said...

wonderful job suruchi!! jus loved readin it.. i cud actually relate wid it..da way u described everything was jus amazin n also hilarious.. m seriously inspired.. continue writin like this..

Unknown said...

fantabulous work girl a must read for everyone

Unknown said...

hehehehe... really good and entertaining..
Although i would like to add to the list..
The type that always complain about how you never keep in touch yet they never make an effort to keep in touch themselves...

Unknown said...

I "Like" this!!

Unknown said...

hi susruchi.. i m ankit... u must hv heard my name from shshnk.. ,m "love u guyz" frd of shshnk... u made me read d whole post.... i must tell u it was a lot better den those..sunday editorial articals which i cud never finished whole... its simply awesome... Is it an essay dat u gonna submit for the phd in literature ?

Suruchi Sharma said...

Hey All! Thanks a ton for reading it! I am floored by your response. The looooong post required a lot of tenacity and patience in the first place.. Jokes apart...THANKS A TON! The only problem though is... I might write more..coz i got really motivated...and i might expect you to read it yet again...lolzzzzzzzzzzz

Unknown said...

Damn!!!
I need to send u forwards to become a good friend.. Currently am in that strata of one-night-before-need callers!!! ;)
Btw, nicely written!!! Pls continue writing... Its better to read ur word than tolerate ur company ;)

Krishnamurthi Kumar said...

Your post is very good.. but it kinda confused me... which one am I?... whatever the answer maybe, i guess i need to be more careful before sending you forward messages henceforth!! :-)