Thursday, May 6, 2010

About 'piece of land' and 'peace of mind'!












10 followers! Guys before I begin with my new post, I must warn you, don't have too many hopes from this portal. It too has an expiry date. Someday somewhere God will decide to stop making my life miserable cum interesting and that very day, my friend, I will have nothing more to write. (This means no more pestering you to read my posts…So keep praying!!!)

My recent-most adventure was my "apartment hunting spree" that I resorted to, along with my roommate in "Amchi Mumbai". Having done our homework right from calling brokers and finalizing places, we started visiting the places we shortlisted!

The first place was in Bandra at a perfect location. The moment we got down from the rick, we saw the local station right there, main road right there and a market right there! I was happy and elated. Who said apartment hunting is tough? We had a winner already. I was still happily waltzing in my thoughts when all of a sudden, I heard some voices.

The voices sounded strange and unfamiliar. They brought me back from my wonderland and I tried turning around to check what are these voices afterall. Right at that moment, many things happened. My roommate realized I heard the voices and am about to witness what is happening. So she ran from where she was towards me so as to block my vision. While I tried to understand why is she running towards me (as if trying to save me from a bullet that has been shot at me), I heard the actual voice again: "Khachaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak" and simultaneously saw a heavy knife going down in a swift motion. All of a sudden my world fell. I hit rock bottom. How the hell didn't I see all these meat shops before? Right here in the lane where I stood. My roommate and I already knew it’s a lost cause. I have never been able to stand these meat shops and I, till date for the record, have always thrown up if exposed to them for more than 60 seconds. We went upstairs to check the apartment anyway, and I specifically checked out the bathroom! ('Coz I had been exposed to those meat shops for more than 60 seconds! DUH!)

Moving on, we saw several other places. I remember one of them being shown to us and I getting shocked, the same way Circuit said," O teri!! Bhai yeh room toh shuru hote hi khatam ho gaya"!

Also, there have been places in areas which were wonderful but lonely. There were areas that stank so bad, a skunk would have thought twice before living there. There were houses where the Pervi Perverson (Read: Pervert) Makaan maalik simply wanted us girls to give him the privilege to come check on us every second day! We also had houses that belonged to unknown parties. Those whom the neighbors have never ever seen in person and have only dealt with the agents. Quite spooky!

Anyway, we finally settled for a nice place in Khar. The only problem, it has no water storage tank. The solutions: Either buy a tank or keep a big drum in your bathroom where water is kept stored for all purposes including drinking!Dreaming about having to manage water from the drum every time we need to use the loo was frightening. Not forgetting imagining what would happen if someone is suffering from diarrhea!

So, having left with just 3 days to go before we are kicked out of our current house, we decide to simply freeze the 'no tank' place and pitched in money out of our own pockets to buy a tank. Suddenly we realized there are no connections in the bathroom also. I seriously wonder what kind of people lived here before us. For a person with such fertile imagination like mine, I couldn't help cringing at the thoughts that hogged my mind. Anyway, having no other options, all I could do was insisting on getting the entire apartment painted and sterilized before we can move in.

Anyway, the apartment has been painted & sterilized and we have moved into the place. Contradictory to how the finding process for the same has been, the place is really cozy and beautiful. I guess it's all about things and how they end beautifully before they show you a bad...sorry...ghastly times. This post had earlier almost got me into sheer depression but then again, the news of death sentence being given to Kasab came in at the right time and cheered me up all over again. I wish they make him undergo apartment hunting in Mumbai's slums if possible before hanging him.

In the end, I would like to conclude, may the caretaker of this house fall in love with both of us utterly sweet, immensely good looking and absolutely harmless inmates of his apartment and never ever ask us to move out of this one! (Also praying may he never get in touch with the owner of our last rented apartment...Amen!)

6 comments:

Krishnamurthi Kumar said...

F A B U L O U S !!!

Priyanka said...

Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....ur every post is synonymously hilarious so i need not mention that again..But i absolutely love the tiny punches here n there and the very fact that you can narrate the entire experience being just yourself yet so effortlessly funny...love your posts love your thoughts love the humour andddd the narrations...Keep them coming :)

P.S - In case i miss out on further updates please buzz me...u just have to need 2 turn around 2 do that;)

- LinaSur :P

Suruchi Sharma said...

Thanks a tonnnnnnnnn Lina...You made my day....{Murthi..you made my day yesterday with your call ;)}

You guys are perhaps the rare ones who might actually click on the "good" & "interesting" options therein otherwise...most of the times...it's me doing it...myself! :D :P Thanks genuinely for the comments...! :) Love you guys! :D

Priyanka said...

Lols that calls for the nxt masterpiece! Pay a tribute to the 2 wonderful beings like us - an endangered species that is on the verge of extinction...lolol....:P

Madam!Please note that you have made me conscious and as you must have noticed the "chat slang lang" syndrome seems to have quit on me for good! :((*screeching*).....okay shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :P

Riddhi Maniar said...

Real fun reading this one. Keep writing and entertaining us babe!:)

Suruchi Sharma said...

Thanks Riddhi! :) You're my earliest motivator as far as this blog is concerned! Mwaaaaaaaaaaah!